admins
updates
� July 2nd
CONGRATS TO OUR NEWEST VICTOR PROSPER PINE! Read about it here - The In The End
� July 2nd
The July Newsletter is up! Take a read - Thank you!
� June 15th
The 124th Intent List is now available! Looking forward to seeing all your new characters.
� June 10th
JUNE NEWSLETTER is up in the Announcements! And the new OTM images are to the right. Congrats to the winners!
� April 14th
Gamemaker Sessions will be due May 2nd!! Make sure you take your time and read the rules.
� April 9th
Vote for a Bloodbath DateHere!!
� March 5th
Check out the March Newsletter.
� February 3rd
The 123rd Intent List is up. I can't wait to see those new tributes!!!!
� February 3rd
The February Newsletter is posted! Lot's of fun stuff!
� January 23rd
The February Nominations! are up. Please, please spread the love to our awesome characters and players!
� December 23rd
The January Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� December 20th
The GAMEMAKER SESSSIONS are due DECEMBER 30th!
� December 1st
Look at that it's the DECEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� November 23rd
The December Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� November 20th
I know that some people might like to communicate through Discord - So here it is! AGAINST THE ODDS DISCORD
� October 22nd
October Activity Check is right here, please complete this by October 31st! Thanks!
� October 2nd
Look at that it's the OCTOBER NEWSLETTER!
� October 1st
Half of the tributes are gone...that means --- 122nd Intent List.
� September 1st
Look at that it's the SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� August 11th
TRIBUTES! Make sure you get signed up for the events, these count towards HP in the games. Thanks! Event Sign Up!
� August 5th
AUGUST NEWSLETTER is up in the Announcements! And the new OTM images are to the right. Congrats to the winners!
� March 24th
It is our GRAND OPENING DAY! Welcome to ATO!
� March 8th
Welcome to Against The Odds! You may begin joining, but we are still under construction and things may still change. We are hoping that our Grand Opening will be March 24th!!
credits
Skin coded by MISS TEXAS. at CAUTION. Toggle sidebar is from SubDevo and Custom Forum Structure script is from Black.
Credit for mini profile goes to bee @ shine
Credit for Header Image goes to WesleyChen @ DeviantArt
of the month

Add Reply
New Poll

Shiny and New, Attn Canary
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jun 26 2018, 04:30 PM
we read to know we're not alone
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy
Rep: 11 pts

Another year and another games went by. Eleanore had returned to the district without a new victor at her side. And this year had been painful. She never knew if there were going to be repercussions from a suicide. The family of the tribute back home or anyone they loved could easily be slaughtered in the street for their selfishness shown in the arena. Eleanore wouldn't have to worry about it... if she didn't want to. But, she was a caring victor. She loved each and every tribute. And this wasn't the end she had hoped for.

It had been a couple weeks since it ended and she finally opted to venture out in the district. She had wanted to get some new dresses ordered. Eleanore hadn't treated herself to anything new in a long time. And she liked to spread some of the money around the district. The merchants worked hard to bring the people of the district what they needed and she most certainly wasn't going to get her clothes from the Capitol.

A bell dinged to let the family who owned it know that she had walked in. Her eyes were already looking at the simple, practical supply of fabrics they had on hand. Some were more expensive and others were the cheapest on the market. A finger came to her lips as she pondered what she might want on this day.
PM
^
Canary Auger
 Posted on: Jun 27 2018, 11:55 AM
i go back to black
seamtress/stitcher
lex
District Twelve
Rep: 0 pts

Times were slow. They had met their monthly quota on repairs to mining uniforms and peacekeeper uniforms, which meant a lull in activity within their shop. Canary spent most of the day stocking and reorganizing the fabrics and threads in the back, while her parents tended to the front of the shop. She liked the easy days, almost as she liked the busy days. Easy days allowed for her to slip some spools of thread and gather excess fabrics. Those things she tucked easily away into her bag, which she'd then transfer over into Smudge's satchel. Her parents never noticed, or if they did. They never approached Canary about it.

She worked diligently until she felt satisfied with the end results. All the shelves had been reorganized by fabric type, then those groups had been organized by color. She did the same for the thread types, then the thread colors. She had a tendency for preferring things in an orderly fashion. Her room upstairs reflected the same type of pristine. She tucked a few loose strands that escaped her ponytail behind her ear. She cleaned up the floor before she proceeded back to the front of the store with her parents.

Her mother worked at the creative station within the shop. A small area reserved for individuals to come in and add splashes of color to their wardrobes. Also, each piece custom made by Coalina Auger. She may not have been a stylist for the Capitol, but her name held some merit within District 12.

" Nary, come, come," her mother's voice called out without pulling her hands or eyes from her work. The woman had always stayed diligent.

Canary slid up to her mother, "Need a new threaded needle?" she asked coolly as she eyed her mother's work. A curt nod from the woman was enough for Canary, "Miss Jensen, right?"

"Mhm," her mother confirmed with her lips pressed down on a couple of pins.

Canary turned and grabbed a fresh needle and took to threading it with a vibrant yellow thread. The woman tended to prefer her hems in a contrasting color. A designer's nightmare, but the customer's choice had been made since before Canary's father took over the business. She finished there threading, cut the strand from the spool and handed the needle back to her mother. She gave a muffled acknowledgement that Canary took as a 'thank you.'

A gentle touch to the shoulder, and the girl retreated to the sales floor. Her father had been helping a gentleman with a refitting of his work boots.

Ding.

The single ball announced the arrival of a new patron. Canary had busied herself underneath the counter when the bell went off. "Right with you," she called out in hopes the person didn't mind a moment of waiting. She slipped a few invoices back into the slot before she jumped up from behind her spot.

Her eyes caught site of a rather familiar face. Eleanore Cinder. A Victor crossed the threshold of their business and Canary couldn't resist the smile that formed. "Ms. Cinder. What a pleasant surprise," Canary pipped up with as she strolled over to the woman. She had seen the woman around before and she was sure her mother had helped Eleanore. Fortunately enough, Canary had the opportunity to help.

PM
^
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jun 28 2018, 11:20 AM
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy

She just nodded, not really thinking about the fact that Canary probably couldn't see the nod if she was busy. Eleanore wasn't a loud person and most of all was patient. She was fine getting lost in the store and the choices that were there. Not all could afford fine luxuries, but at least there was somewhere for those that could. Ellie even could as a child. Her parents weren't poor, but they weren't rich either. She at least had a new dress every time a growth spurt happened.

"Please call me Ellie." Formalities were something that was okay, but she much preferred to be friendly with all the people. District Twelve was the smallest of the districts and it was almost like they were all family.

"You must be Canary." She offered a smile of her own as she turned. Eleanore had worked with Coalina plenty of times, but it was nice to see the young girl - who wasn't as awfully young anymore. She was practically a lady. "Are things very busy? I don't want to add to the workload, I'm in no real hurry." Her words had a hint of worry to them. Ellie never liked to be an imposition to anyone.
PM
^
Canary Auger
 Posted on: Jun 28 2018, 12:33 PM
i go back to black
seamtress/stitcher
lex
District Twelve

Canary offered a nod with a softer smile on her lips, "Right, Ms. Ellie." She couldn't contain the bit of excitement that lingered at her fortune. She knew the rarity of getting the chance to actually help a Victor while both her parents were preoccupied. They tended to shelter her a bit more than they should have. Such coddling caused her to venture out into The Seam, and ultimately created the alias Smudge. However, they couldn't coddle her in that moment. She approached the woman with an eagerness to prove herself in the line of being a seamstress, much like her mother. "I sure am," the confirmation offered a larger smile. The woman remembered her, but it seemed like ages since they had met prior. The woman seemed too nice to forget anyone's face or name, but it still felt nice to be acknowledged.

"Oh, of course not! You've come at the perfect time actually. Momma has a few things on back order and Dad tends to focus on shoes," when she acknowledged her parents, she gestured toward the area both of them had been. Her mother remained focused on her work and the detailing that Mrs. Jensen always enjoyed, while her father still seemed stuck with the gentleman. Canary should have remembered his name. "I will be more than happy to get you started though. We can pick out some fabrics and the design of the dress. One second,," she spoke quickly before she held up her finger and practically skipped over to the counter once more. She retrieved a legal-sized design tablet and a pencil.

She returned back to Ellie, "Sorry needed to grab this for sketching up some ideas on the fly." Her voice came out sing-song. The entire endeavor of getting her own chance to aide in the creation of a piece that a Victor would wear thrilled the girl entirely.

PM
^
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jun 29 2018, 11:06 AM
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy

"Always so busy. A testament to the quality here." She gave a gentle nod. It was the truth that this was the best place to go when someone needed something new. Even the Peacekeepers used this establishment for when they had repairs and mending. Eleanore liked to support the local business and it was nice to meet the young girl that would be the future of their family. Canary was pretty and so polite, Ellie couldn't help but note the qualities.

Just like before, she gave a silent nod to the girl as she dashed to get her notepad. It wasn't like Eleanore had anything better to do with her time. It was easy to have a life of leisure, not that she always liked it. But, sometimes it could be boring when she lacked a good book or the weather was bad for her daily walks.

"I was thinking two or three dresses. All to the floor. Much like I have had in the past. I like traditional." District Twelve always seemed like it was left behind when it came to much of Panem. The further away from the Capitol they were the less technology they got. Even the district had no electricity during many hours of the night. And day when the Capitol needed extra. It wasn't fair. But, then again nothing was fair in Panem. They were almost like a turn of the century coal town of forever ago.

Her fingers ran across some of the fabrics. "One a pastel, what do you have? Lavender or peach or mint? I guess you are the expert, what's best with my complexion?" Her eyes turned back to Canary with a soft smile.
PM
^
Canary Auger
 Posted on: Jul 2 2018, 11:25 AM
i go back to black
seamtress/stitcher
lex
District Twelve

Canary held an uncanny pride about her family and the family business. When Eleanore spoke highly about the business, she felt her face light up with a proud smile. "We are glad you think so, especially from someone of your repute," she spoke with her lips still curved into a proud smile. Praise from a Victor held a distinct honor that Canary could recognize. Her parents remained humble about it, while worked to push the same humbleness upon their daughter. Before she took her time to visit The Seam, she held little modesty about boasting about her family's success. As the years continued, she found the line between being proud and being a showboat.

She listened intently to Eleanore's words before she spoke up to offer her own thoughts, "Hmm," she thought for a moment as she tapped the eraser end of the pencil to her chin, "I'll put you down for two, for now. She might be able to manage a third though." Canary scrawled the number two at the top left hand side of the blank piece of paper. Of course, she knew how busy her mother stayed with sewing, but Eleanore had been a special case. The Auger family would have to prioritize their work around getting the dresses ready for Eleanore before her next Capitol visit.

Canary stayed close to the Victor as she made quick notes along the side of the page, while she left the center free. She never shared her mother's design style. While her mother worked as the customer spoke, Canary did her best to take all the notes and offer a rough copy before the customer left the shop. Eleanore spoke, her voice easy to follow and pleasant to listen to.

Her mind managed to go a hundred thoughts a minute as various inspirations hit her mind. She worked to get ideas, until Eleanore's last words caused her mind to blank suddenly. The woman called her the expert. she felt her cheeks flush as she lifted her pad a bit to shield her face. A nervous smile eased over her features, "Oh, Miss Ellie. I am no expert, that's my mother." Her voice held the unease that came from unexpected compliments.

Canary averted her gaze to the various fabrics as she pulled samples and lifted them to Eleanore's skin. "Peach might be too fair for you, so let's try," she hurried tried to find another sample, "I feel lavender would be an amazing option. Rarely get to use anything of the sort." She pulled out the only lavender sample and withdrew a small pair of fabric shears. She snipped off a square piece and deposited the shears back into a deep pocket of her seamstress apron. "And mint," she confirmed as she pulled out a sample of mint that looked to be close to the same type of fabric as the lavender.

PM
^
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jul 5 2018, 10:30 AM
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy

She just smiled through the compliment. Ellie didn't remember much about her games. Well, she didn't remember them as something that she did. They were just another one of the books that she read in her mind. And she had just done what she needed to do to come home, come back to her family. Eleanore didn't like to be treated like she was different, even if she was. So, that smile persisted.

"I don't even really need them. If your mother is terribly busy, I can do with one." She put up a hand to sort of apologizing for asking for so much. There were so many people in Twelve who might have needed something and Ellie didn't want to take the hours away from others.

They moved on. Eleanore had gone a while without getting something new and maybe it wouldn't take the experienced woman too long to get it done. She looked over at Canary with one of those signature kind faces. "Oh, my dear. You probably know more than you think." She smiled and looked over at the fabrics. The peach was out, that was fine. The girl was likely right. Purples always had looked the best anyhow. "They are both beautiful. I guess two pastels it is." She had almost wanted a light dress and a dark dress, but dark didn't suit her. She was pale, innocent, and everything that pastel embodied.

"What's next?" Her eyes brightened as she looked to Canary to lead her to the next decision to be made. A base palate was created and now the real design came into play.
PM
^
Canary Auger
 Posted on: Jul 11 2018, 09:24 AM
i go back to black
seamtress/stitcher
lex
District Twelve

Canary realized the smile never fully reached the woman's eyes when she hinted at her status as a Victor. A bit of regret lingered in her thoughts at the idea that she might have offended or pulled up some memories Ellie didn't enjoy recalling. The smile felt genuine, but Canary's mind reeled with the idea that she needed to apologize. A few silent, hesitant moments later produced no such apology. Instead, she went to busying herself with Ellie's order.

"Oh! Of course not. Mother always has a way with the needle and thread, even if she tends to bring work," she gestured to the area around them, "home," she added as she lifted her eyes up and pointed toward the ceiling. An indication of their homestead being just above them, as was customary in most shoppes within District 12. Canary knew her mother well enough to know that she would want to get orders for Ellie completed, even if it meant pushing back other orders. She'd never tell the customers, especially Ellie, that fact.

As the continued into the color swatches, Canary continued to listen intently to the other's words. A flush of rouge graced her cheeks as a soft smile crossed her features, "Thank you. Just a bit of front-line knowledge for being around it all since, well birth." Canary's smile formed into a bit of a giggle as she acknowledged the fact that her life seemingly revolved around the shoppe. They continued through the colors, until Ellie's comment caused Canary to falter a bit.

"You guess? Oh! Well, we can go for something different for the second dress," another flush of deeper rouge filled her cheeks as she scurried to another set of swatches. She pulled out a set of greens that ranged in materials and colors, then she plucked a set of blues. She turned to Ellie, a nervous smile on her lips. She swore she could hear her mother's voice in her mind scolding her for not giving such a valued customer more options.

PM
^
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jul 11 2018, 07:13 PM
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy

She continued to smile. It was natural that the families that ran the businesses had children to carry on what the business. They just had to hope that their children would make it through the Reaping. Which, Twelve had the worst odds considering the lowest population. Ellie had seen too many families ripped apart and ruined after the death of a child. Like they didn't have enough danger of losing parents in the mines.

"Are you going to take over someday?" And then there was the other problem, the children were their own people. There was also the risk that this wasn't the dream for themselves that they wanted. Ellie knew that all too well. She wasn't even sure what she was going to do with her life before she went in the games. She wasn't the firstborn. She wasn't interested in what her parents did. But, she had also never really thought about what she really wanted to do.

She shook her head and reached a hand out to put on Canary's arm. "No, no. I didn't mean it that way. The mint is very me." Ellie could afford a dress in every color of the rainbow and the more colors that the girl got out the more tempting it was to want more. But, she held back and looked to another part of the room. "Do you have patterns to complement it? Maybe that would be a best of both kind of thing." A mint skirt with a patterned boddess would be wonderful, if there was anything Canary could help with.

"And then lace, buttons, and ribbon." She grinned brightly. That was the best part. "So, I want to see your best sketches." Ellie pointed a bit to the paper.
PM
^
Canary Auger
 Posted on: Jul 13 2018, 10:00 AM
i go back to black
seamtress/stitcher
lex
District Twelve

The question asked by Eleanore caused Canary's brow to furrow a bit, as she shifted her gaze down to the sketchpad. Within the Auger home just above the shoppe, the walls held memories of many discussions. A large portion of them consisted of her parents pressing the same question onto her with an almost expectant tone to their voices. She tried to bite back, yet every-time her mother's face fell with a sadness, while her father looked bewildered by her lack of true want to take over. In the grande scheme, she loved the shoppe, yet it felt as though it would be forced upon her in the end.

The woes of being an only child.

She realized she allowed the silence to linger a little to long. With a cautious glance, she shrugged her shoulders, "That's the plan." Her chipper tone fell flat in the air as she took another silent moment to gather her thoughts. She resumed back to her work. The thoughts pushed to the rear of her mind once more as the drive to present the best to Eleanore took over again. She felt a gentle touch to her arm and the words from the older woman reassured her that her decision seemed acceptable. A little sigh of relief left her lips, "Are you sure?" She offered the question as she slowly set the other two colors back into their respective spots.

"Patterns," she tapped the eraser end to her chin a few times as she tried to recall, "We rarely get patterned fabrics." She didn't want to turn down the prospect or the excitement, but patterned material seemed such a rarity within District 12. Occasionally, her mother would find a pattern within her shipments, but they tended to be used up rather quickly. Canary remembered the last time she saw a patterned fabric had been almost two years prior. "We can accent it with some lace and sheer ribbon, of course!" she exclaimed with an excited smile as she gestured for Eleanore to join her at the sketching table.

She wasted no time as she started on the sketch for the first design. The lavender dress. Her pencil seemed to dance over the sketch pad page until she stopped to wipe a bit of sweat that beaded on her forehead. With a slow reveal, she showed Eleanore her design, "I was thinking something simplistically elegant."

The Sketch

PM
^
Eleanore Cinder
 Posted on: Jul 20 2018, 08:23 PM
thirty-four
Victor/Mentor
Issy

It was unfortunate that they wouldn't get all the different patterns that the Capitol did. And Ellie had seen some come and go in her years of living in Twelve. They were usually those boring stripes or calicos that had always been popular and they were simple to make. Light florals even, but they were a thing of the past. Maybe they thought it was simply too uplifting for the people in the coal district.

The picture was quick and amazing. It wasn't what she was used to wearing and showed more cleavage than the victor was accustomed. But, she would be brave. "That's beautiful, Canary." It was perfect for something in the Capitol, but she wouldn't be able to wear it around the district. Ellie smiled sweetly and gave a nod to okay the design. It would be what she took with her to wear when she made appearances and would ask for donations. The dress was also different than what she usually put on. It was a good change as Eleanore was getting older and more confident in herself as a person. Not that she ever tried to turn heads, not even when she was a tribute.

"For the mint, something I can wear here. White lace and white ribbon?" She offered going back to what she had said to accent the pastel green. Ellie needed new clothes for every day. "What kind of ideas do you have for that?" She looked down and was happy with the first one and obviously hoped the girl could work some magic again. Eleanore was fairly easy to please and loved helping out the people that were her people.

Her fingers ran over some of the ribbons pulling out a thick four inch for a sash like waist. It was one of her best features and liked it to be a part of her look. "This, maybe?"
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
PanemForever RPG Initiative RPG-D HH One More Light Black Prism PanemForever ruinandrise Mystic Mayhem A marvel infinity war rp City of Light: The 100 RPG Time Won

skin created by miss texas. at caution 2.0.