admins
updates
� December 23rd
The January Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� December 20th
The GAMEMAKER SESSSIONS are due DECEMBER 30th!
� December 1st
Look at that it's the DECEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� November 23rd
The December Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� November 20th
I know that some people might like to communicate through Discord - So here it is! AGAINST THE ODDS DISCORD
� October 22nd
October Activity Check is right here, please complete this by October 31st! Thanks!
� October 2nd
Look at that it's the OCTOBER NEWSLETTER!
� October 1st
Half of the tributes are gone...that means --- 122nd Intent List.
� September 1st
Look at that it's the SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� August 11th
TRIBUTES! Make sure you get signed up for the events, these count towards HP in the games. Thanks! Event Sign Up!
� August 5th
AUGUST NEWSLETTER is up in the Announcements! And the new OTM images are to the right. Congrats to the winners!
� August 4th
Pregames have started! Reapings are posted in the Districts Justice Buildings. Here we go 121st!
� July 8th
The votes are tallied! Looks like the most votes were for Reaping on August 4th and Bloodbath September 15th. If you don't have a tribute yet, Sign up!121st Intent List
� July 2nd
JULY NEWSLETTER is up with lots of important information!!!
� June 20th
We NEED a new staff! Check out the application - STAFF SEARCH!!!
� June 1st
The JUNE NEWSLETTER is posted with our latest information! Who is excited for the bloodbath tomorrow?
� May 24th
The Activity Check is here! And also don't forget to nominate some great people for June of the Months!
� May 1st
Check out our May Newsletter!
� April 21st
The Pregames have started! Find your Reaping in your District Justice Building!
� April 9th
We have a Staff Search Up! Also get those pictures for Shipper Forums to staff so we can get them in.
� April 2nd
Check out the April Newsletter! There is a fun event to go along with it!
� March 24th
It is our GRAND OPENING DAY! Welcome to ATO!
� March 8th
Welcome to Against The Odds! You may begin joining, but we are still under construction and things may still change. We are hoping that our Grand Opening will be March 24th!!
credits
Skin coded by MISS TEXAS. at CAUTION. Toggle sidebar is from SubDevo and Custom Forum Structure script is from Black.
Credit for mini profile goes to bee @ shine
Credit for Header Image goes to WesleyChen @ DeviantArt
of the month

Add Reply
New Poll

Here we are, D11 train
Isaiah Prescott
 Posted on: Nov 30 2017, 02:03 PM
-
Victor/Mentor D11
Puck
Rep: 3 pts

Maybe they had a chance this year.

Why did he even bother to hope? Hope that for once district eleven would have a victor? Hope that he wouldn’t be alone anymore? Who could blame him actually? The last tributes both had been so young. He could still see Ceres’ face when he closed his eyes, the tears that had run over her cheeks right before the canon sounded to announce her death. He had been so occupied with Ceres that he had forgotten about the male tribute from last year. He didn’t even remember the boy’s name, only that he had died pretty early.

This time he would try to divide his attention to both tributes. Male and female.

He had hope again, just because this year’s male tribute was older, because he reminded him of himself. Isaiah had heard the woman’s cries when his name had been called. His light eyes had searched for the woman in the crowd and he had found her. The woman and two younger girls.

He wished he could do something. He wished he could make them stop playing this sick game over and over again every year. Sadly enough, there was nothing he could do. They only thing he could do was trying to keep his tributes alive and even then, one of them just had to die.

The victor slowly started to walk towards the train as soon as the reaping was over.

Isaiah tucked his hands in the pockets of his suit pants while he looked out of the window. For once he didn’t grab a glass of alcohol to drink away his worries. He just kept standing and sighed softly. It was only when he heard how the door of the carriage opened again, that he turned around so whoever was first to enter could see his face and wouldn’t be greeted by his back.

[b[“Some people congratulate those that were chosen to participate in the games.”[/b] He shrugged, let his eyes trail to the person that had walked in. ”But of course, those people don’t know how it’s like. They only see all the parties and the fancy clothes they’re allowed to pull out of their closets. They don’t know any better.” The man licked over his lips. ”They don’t know any better. You should know I’m not here to congratulate you and that I only feel sorry.”
PM
^
Aero Reeves
 Posted on: Dec 3 2017, 03:42 PM
"Imma make things better, jess you wait"
Seventeen
Harvest Transport
Shadow
Tribute

Five minutes. That’s all they got to say goodbye. That’s all they would let them have. As if ripping him away from his mama and sisters and throwing him into some foreign world to die wasn’t enough. They couldn’t even spare him the proper time to say goodbye. But then again, they never had. They’d never made Aero’s life easy. This was only the cherry on top of a rotten cake full of heartache and misery. Taking his father away from him, forcing him out to shrivel in the sun every single day, take away all the food and water they had until they had just barely enough to force their tired and broken bodies to work endlessly for them.

But this was something he couldn’t let happen to his family. It was a death sentence, not just for him, but for Mama, North, and April too. If Aero died in that arena, there would be no one left to work out in the fields to get the money they needed to survive. The best they might be able to do is send North and April up in those trees. Even then, there is no guarantee they would make near the money they needed. Or they wouldn’t end up falling and snapping their necks on the harsh ground. Aero had to come back. He couldn’t afford to die when his whole family relied on him.

Mama, I promise with all my heart, and all my soul, I ain’t gonna let anything stand in my way of coming back home” He says softly. His mother wouldn’t hear none of it. She was completely torn. She wanted her son to come back to her more than anything. But if that meant he had to murder other children to do so...she didn’t want him to corrupt himself like that. So instead, her tired, worn out, old body could only shake against him with each heart wrenching sob. And all he could do was try to do was comfort her, but he knew it was of little use. He knew just as well as she that he was never coming back. Aero would either die. Or come back a completely changed man.

He was strong for her, refused to break down in tears. Because that’s how she raised her boy. To be the man of the house, to never let anything tear him down. He couldn’t let any of her love be wasted on him. She’d raised a good boy, with a strong pair of shoulder and a smart head on top of them. When they finally were able to drag her away, she could at least take comfort in the courageous young man she’d raised.

That was more than any mother could ever hope for.

They pushed him onto a train, but Aero couldn’t be bothered with admiring his surroundings. He’d never been surrounded in such splendor and luxury, but he hated it. It was nothing like he had at home. And every crystal fixture or soft piece of furniture simply reminded him this was where he didn’t belong. None of the poor kids that got reaped ever belonged here. He steps further into the train car, wiping his sweaty palms on his old overalls. The big strongman act he’d put on for everyone was just about worn off. Now that no one was around to care who he was, he could act as things really were. Hopeless.

He looks up when he hears a voice begin to talk to him. The face he finds is a familiar one. The only victor District 11 has by some miracle managed to bring home. Aero stands there, somewhat defeated looking as the guy goes on to spill his take of how unlucky Aero was to be where he was. Once the man is done talking, Aero stuffs his fists in his pockets, frowning at him. “Can’t say I’d take too kindly to any congratulations of the sort...or ya pity either….I ain’t dying in that arena. I cant.” his eyes drop to the obnoxiously fluffy and colorful carpeted floor. “I just needa know hows ya did it.” he says quietly, but firmly. Isaiah Prescott was the only one who could understand now. Aero wasn’t going to waste his time in a pity party, not when he needed to be strong for his family.

--------------------
Strength (+10 to unarmed)
Starvation (Can go one day without food)
Hack 'Em (+5 to any type of axe weapon)
PM
^
Isaiah Prescott
 Posted on: Dec 6 2017, 01:33 PM
-
Victor/Mentor D11
Puck

Pity, was it pity that he felt? Yes. He felt sorry for every child that would get thrown into the arena, doomed to die. Or if they didn’t die, there was a chance they would get mad. He had gone mad, he was still mad, but he was good at hiding that little fact. He was good at hiding the fact that nightmares still kept him awake. Always the same nightmares. The same nightmares for how many years already? Fourteen, fifteen years? Long enough to have forgotten how it was like to dream instead of waking up every two minutes, screaming.

Isaiah just nodded when the boy spoke. He knew how he was feeling, he knew how it felt to leave family behind whom could barely care for themselves. But he didn’t want his pity so the man just kept his mouth shut while he watched the other one closely.

How he did it.

He wanted to know how he did it, how he did survive the slaughter. Of course he wanted to know, it was only normal that he wanted to know.

Isaiah swallowed and when he realized he had been looking at Aero without saying anything, he cleared his throat and gestured to the table. ”Take a seat, it will be a few hours before we reach the Capitol. There is plenty of food, so if you want anything, just take it.” Isaiah sat himself on one of the chairs and put his elbows on the table. ”You want to know how I survived it? I made the careers believe I was a good ally, that they could use me during the games. While I wasn’t as smart as some of the tributes, I was strong and they saw that I was right, that I could help them. They probably thought it would be easy to get rid of me once they didn’t need me anymore. I ran away from them as soon as it became too dangerous to stay with them, when I knew they could kill me every moment.” His last words ended in a whisper and he looked at the wood of the table.

Memories had started to come back, memories he wanted to forget. ”I was just lucky in the end. The remaining tributes were slaughtering each other and it was luck when I pushed the last one away from me. She fell and hit her head.” He wouldn’t have been able to win the games if she hadn’t been so weak from her fight with the other one.

”Stay away from the careers or try to befriend them. Just be careful. They’re trained, they’re cunning and they know how to play the games. They’re the Capitol’s favorites and they will always have the advantage.”
PM
^
Aero Reeves
 Posted on: Dec 7 2017, 05:41 PM
Seventeen
Harvest Transport
Shadow
Tribute

Isaiah was a victor from before Aero was even born. He’d never see the man’s games. Hardly knew a thing about him except he was all District 11 had left to show for 122 years of sending tributes off to fight. For a moment, it seems like both men come to a silent understanding. Mentor and tribute. Aero holds the victors somewhat sad gaze with his own strong one. He knew the man felt bad for him. In his world, it was probably impossible not to feel pity for his tributes. How many tributes before him had showed the courage and strength Aero was? Only to fall, just like they always did. To let him down, year after year. Isaiah was the one that was trapped here forever.

Aero lets out a huff of breath as he turns to the display of food. There were so many colors and smells, all foreign to the boy. There was a guilt dwelling deep within his conscience that he could not bring this back to North and April. They were always wanting for new flavors. They were the adventurous ones. Not Aero, he preferred to stick to what he knew. Those two would love it here. But the idea of his sisters one day standing where he was made his stomach turn. If Aero died, they’d be forced to take as much tesserae as they could. Mama couldn’t lose anymore of her children. Aero finally decides on a hot bowl of some type of soup and sits across from the victor as he begins to answer Aero’s question.

The careers. Aero hadn’t even thought about them. They didn’t seem real. As if they were just a ghost story parents told their children to frighten them. To train your whole life to murder others, just for fun? How could anyone be proud of that? How could anyone justify that? It was completely lost on Aero. But somehow, Isaiah had made them see his value. Somehow, Isaiah had done the impossible and outlasted them all. Would Aero be so lucky? Every year it was the same, the careers all believed they were better than the others, each believed they would be the one that got to leave. It was only when the pack was broken up that they failed. Which was the only way Aero would ever get the chance to join their alliance.

They will always have the advantage. They would, wouldn’t they? The capitol would always love them, always support them. And it would never change. Those districts won the games more than any of the others. They’d won last year, wouldn’t they win this year? “They hate us. They ain’t ever gonna accept nobody from eleven. We ain’t good enough for them...” he clears his throat, trying to alleviate the tightness of his tone. “They even killed that little girl last year...just an innocent little girl...the one that won shot her down like she was jess nobody! What makes you think any of em would ever let me join em?! Or that I could be anything like that!?" Aero raised his voice more than he meant to. He wasn’t mad at the advice Isaiah gave. It was good advice as far as Aero knew. And he didn’t know much. “I’m sorry. I just...I ain’t got a clue how imma win this.” he admits. Maybe he should give the career pack another thought.

They could be different after all.

--------------------
PM
^
Isaiah Prescott
 Posted on: Dec 13 2017, 04:37 PM
-
Victor/Mentor D11
Puck

Isaiah lowered his gaze after he was done talking, telling Aero how he had survived it. It brought back memories he wanted to forget, memories that always seemed to appear again as soon as the games started. He always saw himself sitting in a chair. Eighteen years old. He would’ve been spared from the games if they hadn’t reaped his brother. He wouldn’t have volunteered if they hadn’t reaped his brother. He wouldn’t have been a victor and maybe he would’ve been able to sleep at night.

”They don’t like us, no. Maybe some of them hates us, but there are also people who are fascinated by the lower districts. They want to know everything. About how we life, how we do things, traditions. We’re nothing more than entertainment for them, but it is what can keep you alive. Make those that are fascinated like you. They can get you donations, they can make the difference between dying and surviving.” The same speech he had been given. The same speech he always tried to tell his tributes when he thought they would be able to defend himself.

The mention of Ceres made him go silent and the man fixated his blue eyes on his hands. He couldn’t talk about her. Not yet. He could still see those big eyes and that careful smile. He could also see how they slaughtered her. He had known she never stood a chance and yet it still hurt to hear the canon that confirmed her death. ”You have to play it smart. If you’re not confident about it, stay away from them. They would put a target on your back if you try and fail. They’ll hunt you down.” He had seen it before. People who tried to join the pack and failed miserably. Those were mostly the ones that died on the first day.

The image of Aero’s mother and sisters standing in the crowd flashed through his memory again. People who were going to lose their son, people who would have a hard time surviving after he was gone. ”I’m going to be honest with you. The chances of you winning the games are slim even when you’re stronger and bigger than most. The tributes this year aren’t as small as those from last year. They all have their age as an advantage…” His voice trailed off while he bit his lip. ”I can make sure they get enough food, your family. I can try to look after them.” His words were nothing more than a whisper. It was a promise he hadn’t done in a while. He wasn’t supposed to look after the families of his tributes and yet he couldn’t help himself. It reminded him so hard of the situation he had been in.
PM
^
Aero Reeves
 Posted on: Dec 13 2017, 08:26 PM
Seventeen
Harvest Transport
Shadow
Tribute

The soup just sat there on the table looking back at him. Almost matching the same glum expression Aero wore. At least, if a soup could have a look, it would look glum. Aero had been hungry all his life. But listening to Isaiah, and getting closer and closer to the realization of inevitable death. That was enough to swallow. He spoke about traditions. Did his family have traditions? They used to. Back when his father was still alive. Back when he was a little boy who could simply enjoy life from the view of an ignorant child. Back when the world still seemed hopeful and fulfilling. But now. Now Aero was never even home long enough to be with his family let alone recall any significant activities they did together. Work was his tradition.

He could tell he’d caused his mentors sudden silence at the mention of the previous tribute. His own partner was as young as that little girl had been. Aero could take care of himself, but she-...she was all alone. He knew he’d never be able to forgive himself if he didn’t do everything in his power to protect her. She was just a baby. She didn’t deserve to face this all by herself. He can only nod silently when Isaiah warns him about attempting to join the career pack. Aero wasn’t sure whether he would make the attempt or not. He had to see the careers for himself before he decided anything. It was certainly a risky move. And Aero preferred to play things safe.

It all seems to come crashing down when Isaiah finally acknowledges how impossible his odds were. He wasn’t sure when, but at some point, he’d grabbed onto the edge of the table. He was now gripping it tightly, like he wanted to break the chunk in his hand off of the furniture. There were so many emotions swarming around in his head, buzzing like tracker jackers. He was angry that he was here, he was trying to remain strong for mama, but above all, he was sad. He pushes the bowl away, propping his arms up on the table to hold his face in his hands. At the mention of someone taking care of his family for him, he nearly breaks down. He felt like sobbing, but he couldn’t do that. What would his mama think? She’d be so disappointed in him. And he should feel grateful, he should feel such a joy at the gracious offer from the victor. But instead he felt angry and sad that he couldn’t be the one to provide for his family. That he would have to rely on another man to do it for him. “I’d greatly appreciate that, sir...” he says hoarsely.

He really did. He appreciated that his family wouldn’t be left to starve when he was gone. But accepting the victors offer didn’t mean Aero wouldn’t fight his fate like hell. “But I’d like to save you the trouble.” he lifts his head from his hands, looking back over to the man. “You talk about tradition, gettin them capitolites to like me...what do I say? What do I do?” he asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

--------------------
PM
^
Isaiah Prescott
 Posted on: Dec 22 2017, 05:41 PM
-
Victor/Mentor D11
Puck

He would never get used to it, it wouldn’t matter how much he did it. Talking about previous tributes sayed difficult. Talking about families that would be left behind of the tributes died was even worse. He hadn’t offered to take care of ones family in a long while. It was not like he expected the kid to die, he actually thought district eleven might have a chance this year. He offered it because Aero reminded him of himself and he would’ve appreciated it if someone would’ve told him they would be willing to take care of his family when he had been in the same position all those years ago.

A real smile appeared on his lips for the first time that day when Aero made it clear that he wasn’t planning on dying in the arena. This was the kind of person he could work with, the kind of person he could get donations for. ”I’m pretty sure you don’t have to do much to make them like you. Be kind, give everyone you encounter compliments. They like to feel special. The more people like you, the easier it is to get you useful things in the arena, things that can help you survive. Show them you’re not afraid.”

Isaiah started to chew on the inside of his cheek while he tried to think of other things he could tell the boy. ”The game maker sessions are important. That’s the moment that you try to impress the gamemakers with your skills. You can choose what you want to do. The higher you score, the more people are going to focus on you. People in the Capitol and your fellow tributes. They might come after you in the arena if you score higher than them, so always watch your back even when you formed an alliance with someone. I survived because I knew when to go my own way.”
PM
^
Aero Reeves
 Posted on: Dec 30 2017, 01:36 PM
Seventeen
Harvest Transport
Shadow
Tribute

That worked in his favor at least. Aero wasn’t too difficult. He wasn’t going to throw a fit or put up a fight simply because he didn’t like what was being done to him. If he was like that he’d likely been shot out in the fields a long time ago. Nobody liked being worked like a pack mule day in and day out. No, rather, Aero had a personality that was easy, kind, gentle. He didn’t like being aggressive, and typically didn’t work too well with people that were. “I’ll try my best, don’t sound too hard considerin I ain’t scared. At least of dyin...that’s always been sorta a risk out in that heat...so I ain’t scared.” He nods, detemined.

Isaiah was trying his hardest, it wasn’t like Aero was the sharpest. He didn’t really know what sort of questions to ask, or what sort of things he should learn. But he at least could recognize the importance of the game maker sessions. They could make or break you, in more ways than just one. Like Isaiah said. Get too high a score and everyone will pay attention. Not just the capitolites. But score too low and no one will support you, but with the benefit of floating under the radar of the careers. But Isaiah had suggested possibly teaming up with the careers. So at any rate, Aero thought he should try to shoot for a higher score.

I know to trust nobody, not even my allies. Everyones out for themself, right?” Aero was more just thinking aloud. Trying to confirm what he knew about the games. He knew the toughest thing to deal with, at least for him, would be allies. He was a social guy, he liked talking and making friends. But here was not the place for that. That wasn’t what this was for at all. Could he actually force himself to break an alliance with someone? Or eve worse? He was bound to learn more about whoever he decided to befriend. Could he kill a friend? He didn’t know. “I know there ain’t no right answer, but how do you know when it’s time to split? Are there certain signs?

--------------------
PM
^
Isaiah Prescott
 Posted on: Jan 3 2018, 08:40 AM
-
Victor/Mentor D11
Puck

He felt sorry for the boy. Of course he felt sorry. Aero was still young, even when he was already taking care of his family. ”I get that. I wasn’t afraid either. Not really.” He had thought he wouldn’t be able to make it out alive and he had made peace with it even before the actual games had started. And yet he had fought hard enough to stay alive. He hadn’t given up and that was the reason he hadn’t been brought home in a casket like the other tributes.

Isaiah nodded to confirm those words. Never trust anyone. Even allies could stab you in the back if you weren’t paying attention. Nobody could blame them. They just wanted to survive and to survive, one would do everything. The question made him go quiet for a moment. When was the time to leave everyone behind? How had he known?

”When there aren’t a lot of tributes left. When most of the stronger ones are dead and when you feel like they don’t need you anymore. That’s when you have to run.” The man bit his lip, not knowing if he should continue, say what he wanted to say. ”You can always kill your previous allies before you leave, or at least try to kill one. I know it sounds awful, but that’s what might help you win this whole thing.”

They stayed quiet most of the journey. It was when he felt how the train was getting to a stop, that Isaiah looked out of the window. ”We’re here. Your stylist is probably waiting for you. Good luck with the parade.” He smiled softly. The man didn’t bother to stand up. He needed some time for himself now. He would probably follow in a few minutes.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
PanemForever RPG Initiative RPG-D HH One More Light Black Prism PanemForever ruinandrise Mystic Mayhem Flickering Darkness City of Light: The 100 RPG

skin created by miss texas. at caution 2.0.