admins
updates
� July 2nd
CONGRATS TO OUR NEWEST VICTOR PROSPER PINE! Read about it here - The In The End
� July 2nd
The July Newsletter is up! Take a read - Thank you!
� June 15th
The 124th Intent List is now available! Looking forward to seeing all your new characters.
� June 10th
JUNE NEWSLETTER is up in the Announcements! And the new OTM images are to the right. Congrats to the winners!
� April 14th
Gamemaker Sessions will be due May 2nd!! Make sure you take your time and read the rules.
� April 9th
Vote for a Bloodbath DateHere!!
� March 5th
Check out the March Newsletter.
� February 3rd
The 123rd Intent List is up. I can't wait to see those new tributes!!!!
� February 3rd
The February Newsletter is posted! Lot's of fun stuff!
� January 23rd
The February Nominations! are up. Please, please spread the love to our awesome characters and players!
� December 23rd
The January Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� December 20th
The GAMEMAKER SESSSIONS are due DECEMBER 30th!
� December 1st
Look at that it's the DECEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� November 23rd
The December Nominations! are up. Please, please take the time to nominate some characters. :)
� November 20th
I know that some people might like to communicate through Discord - So here it is! AGAINST THE ODDS DISCORD
� October 22nd
October Activity Check is right here, please complete this by October 31st! Thanks!
� October 2nd
Look at that it's the OCTOBER NEWSLETTER!
� October 1st
Half of the tributes are gone...that means --- 122nd Intent List.
� September 1st
Look at that it's the SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER!
� August 11th
TRIBUTES! Make sure you get signed up for the events, these count towards HP in the games. Thanks! Event Sign Up!
� August 5th
AUGUST NEWSLETTER is up in the Announcements! And the new OTM images are to the right. Congrats to the winners!
� March 24th
It is our GRAND OPENING DAY! Welcome to ATO!
� March 8th
Welcome to Against The Odds! You may begin joining, but we are still under construction and things may still change. We are hoping that our Grand Opening will be March 24th!!
credits
Skin coded by MISS TEXAS. at CAUTION. Toggle sidebar is from SubDevo and Custom Forum Structure script is from Black.
Credit for mini profile goes to bee @ shine
Credit for Header Image goes to WesleyChen @ DeviantArt
of the month

Add Reply
New Poll

Awaiting The Storm, Attn. Livvy
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: May 30 2018, 04:12 PM
Look For Me In The Whirlwind Or The Storm
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine
Rep: 0 pts

Oliver had spent his day out helping his father and step-father with a bit of the farm work and they had his step-dad's special radio with them so they could listen to the weather forecast for the next few days in their area. It sounded like today was just going to continue to be a hot, humid summer day before the storms started to pick up tomorrow afternoon. By the sounds of it, it was going to be a perfect day for chasing. His father suggested he and his step-dad get as much done as they could if they were going to be gone all day tomorrow and well, they both did work hard.

By the time they were able to call it quits for the afternoon Oliver was covered in sweat and miserably hot. It was time for a trip into the woods and to the river for a swim. "Hey Aella! You ready to go for a swim little princess!?" he asked excitedly when the puppy came running through the house and jumped up on him the moment he walked through the door. The puppy barked and did a few circles. So Oliver grabbed her leash and attached it to her collar before peaking into the living room.

"Little bro, want to go for a swim?" He asked, grinning a bit. His brother shook his head. "Nah. I have a wicked headache. I'm going to take a nap." he told him. He had gotten up early to do chores and he was working on some crazy project for school all day even though they were all on break because of the games currently going on. "Alright. Well you know where to find us if you change your mind." Oliver called back to him with a shrug as he headed out the door with Aella.

The walk to the spot they usually swam in was quick enough. Just cut across the field and go into the woods a little ways and you were there at the river. He slipped his shoes off, then his shirt, and then his shorts, leaving him in his boxers as he unhooked Aella's leash and then ran into the water so she would follow. Man did it feel so good. He stayed in the shallow area for a moment before went to the part where it got much deeper, so he could properly swim.

Aella followed, but quickly went back to the shallow part where she was running back and forth barking and trying to bite the water. "Silly girl!" Oliver chuckled. He heard someone else coming though and well, he just assumed that it was his brother. He quickly got into position and then splashed the person who walked close to the river's edge. "I knew you would-" He cut himself off when he realized it wasn't his little brother. "Oh...I am so sorry. So, so sorry." Oliver said quickly.
PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: May 30 2018, 04:48 PM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

Hot. It was too damn hot and Matty had been working on the farm all morning. Since the crack of dawn actually. Since they'd had to fire a lot of people, there was way too much work to be done on a regular day. He had worked until he felt like he might just pass out from the heat, then he'd had something to drink and some food and done it all over again. He was exhausted and overheated.

The house didn't really provide the cooling down needs he had and he sighed heavily. There was only one thing to do. He needed to get to the river so he could go for a swim. He told Maddy he was going to go for a walk and then did just that. His feet reluctantly brought him to the edge of the woods. The very same woods where he'd found his father all those years ago.

Still to this day the woods made him incredibly uncomfortable, but he was afraid he'd become ill from the heat if he didn't do something about it, so he slowly stepped into the trees and headed for the area where he knew there was a good spot to swim. Thankfully it wasn't the exact same spot as the one he'd found his father in, or he might not be able to go swimming at all. It was a little further up than that.

He stopped for a moment under a tree and closed his eyes. He was already getting emotional. Life had been pretty hard on him since their mother had died. It had brought back a lot of bad memories. Especially since he and Maddy had buried their mother themselves.

Clenching his fists he walked on, trying to focus on something other than the memories flashing through his mind. The very same ones that had caused him nightmares almost every night for years. The nightmares that just kept getting worse lately.

His eyes were already a little red and swollen by the time he made it to the spot he wanted to be in. Before he had a chance to look around though he found himself splashed with a pretty decent amount of water. He let out a small yelp of surprise and took a step back. Staring wide eyed at the person who'd splashed him and who was now apologizing. "Oh uhm... it's fine... I came here to get soaked anyway." he managed, forcing a smile back on his face even though he hadn't been smiling when he first got there.

Smiling was what Matty did. He was supposed to be the happy, friendly kid he'd been before his father's death, but it was becoming more and more difficult every day. He'd managed to keep it up for years, but now? He wasn't so sure how long he could keep going for.
PMEmail
^
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: May 30 2018, 08:01 PM
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine

Oliver felt so bad that he had splashed some random person, but he had genuinely expected it to be his brother coming out after having changed his mind. Then it would have been absolutely hilarious. "Well...I am sure you didn't come here to get unexpectedly splashed before you even got into the river." he said with a bit of a nervous sort of laugh. "I am genuinely sorry. I thought you were my brother coming to swim." he added, to clear up any thought that he just splashed people who came around and then apologized like crazy.

He looked back toward the puppy who was still bouncing around in the water until she realized that someone new had joined them and came bounding over. She jumped up on his legs, tail going like crazy as she wiggled and sniffed this stranger. "And...sorry about my pup." He added, scooping her up in his arms. She began licking his face and trying to nip at his ear a bit.

"This is Aella and I am Oliver." He decided it was best to introduce both him and his furry little companion. He turned his head to get a bit of a closer look at him and realized that he vaguely remembered him from school years ago and also just from being around a bit. "Matthias...right?" he asked curiously, giving a soft smile.

The smile turned to a look of concern though when he noticed the red, sort of glossy look to his eyes. "Did I splash you in the eyes? Are you okay?" he asked, clearly worried. Maybe the kid just had allergies or something, but it still worried him.
PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: May 31 2018, 03:02 AM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

Matty managed to keep the smile on his face as the boy in the water apologized once more and commented that he probably hadn't come here to get unexpectedly splahed in the face before he had a chance to get in the water. "Well I mean.. it's warm. So some water can't really hurt" he said with a small shrug, the smile stayed put on his face. "Really you don't have to worry about it. It's not like my clothes won't dry before I planned on getting back out of the water anyway."

Soon enough a puppy bounced over to him and jumped up on his leg. He smiled a little, this time a proper smile, leaning down to give her a scratch behind the ear. He managed to do this just as the other boy scooped the little puppy into his arms. "I mean she's pretty cute." he said as he watched the puppy lick and then nibble at the boy's ear.

"Nice to meet you Oliver.. and Aella." he smiled, but honestly he was still uneasy about being here in the woods as his eyes traveled around the area for a moment. When Oliver guessed his name he nodded a little. "Yeah, that's right." he agreed and then furrowed his brow for a moment. "Did we use to og to School together?" he asked, it was hard for him to remember. He hardly remembered the time when all he had to worry about was School anymore, a time where he'd still been allowed to be a kid. "My f- uhm my sisters just call me Matt or Matty though." he had been about to say friends, but he didn't really have any beyond his sisters.

Matty's own smile faltered a little as Oliver suddenly asked if he was okay. He shrugged a little and shook his head. "No, you're fine. You didn't splash me in the face." he said, shifting his weight a little as finally he began to tug at his shirt to take it off. "Do you... mind if I join you in there?"he asked, gesturing to the water before glanicng around again. Almost as if he expected to see something unpleasant. "It's pretty warm up here."
PMEmail
^
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: Jun 2 2018, 08:35 PM
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine

Oliver seemed to relax a bit more, nodding when Matty commented that his clothes would dry quickly. The summer heat was pretty bad today, which was why he was even here to begin with. "Just. I am sorry." he said, though offered him a smile. "But thanks for not getting upset with me." he added with a laugh. Conflict wasn't exactly something he was very good at dealing with.

He smiled at Aella and moved closer to the Matthias so he could properly pet her a bit more. She was wet though and squirming in his arms as she tried to get closer to Matthias so she could give him kisses too. She was a very friendly, happy little pup, that was for sure. He wanted to keep her socialized with other people. He never wanted her to be afraid.

Oliver's smile grew when Matthias confirmed that he had gotten his name correct and then went on to ask if they had gone to school together to which he nodded. "Yes we did. I believe you were in the class under me if I remember correctly." he said thoughtfully. "Between my brother and I." He gave Aella a kiss on the top of her head and then looked back to him. "Matty is a cool name." he added softly.

He was thankful when it was confirmed that he hadn't splashed him in the eyes, but he felt bad still because something just seemed wrong or off. He didn't want to be rude and pry though. "Of course you can join. Not like I own the river." he said with a laugh. He looked back toward the river, but when he turned to look at Matty again he was shirtless and well...Oliver found himself staring for a bit too long and blushing when he realized it.

He quickly set Aella down and ran to the edge where it got deep again and jumped in, making a splash. The pup barked and bounced around trying to catch the water that had flew up from the splash. "It feels sooo good in here." Oliver commented, leaning back to float on her back.
PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: Jun 4 2018, 02:28 AM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

Matty only smiled when he was thanked for not getting mad at being splashed. "I mean it's way too warm up here and I came here to swim anyway. It's really no big deal." he inisisted, still looking around the area as if he expected unpleasant things to come out of the trees at any moment. There was an unease in his eyes even though he was smiling.

When the two of them moved closer he reached out to pet the dog some more. She was wet, but he didn't care. She was still soft and warm. Her licks were so friendly. Nothing beat the joy of puppies. The way they seemed to wriggle with happiness if given attenton. Honestly Matty had wanted a dog of his own, but their tiny family really couldn't afford another mouth to feed.

"Oh right." he said when he was educated about how they'd been in School together. What years. Matty didn't remember too many of the people from School. Hadn't been in touch with any of them for years. He'd had to be an adult since he was ten, and as such hadn't had much time to spend on School. "Sounds about right." he agreed, just juding by the age the two of them seemed to be. "Thanks, Oliver's a pretty good one too though."

When told he was allowed to join in the water he gave a small relieved chuckle, he had been worried he'd be intruding. "Well no, but I didn't want to intrude anyway." he said as he continued to strip down to his boxers. Once he was done he noticed that Oliver was looking at him and he blushed a little himself.

His attention was soon drawn by the puppy though who was now bouncing and trying to Catch the droplets Oliver had caused by jumping into the water. He managed an ever so tiny laugh. When had he last laughed? he didn't even know.

He followed suit though and went to the spot Oliver had jumped in and then did the same thing. Causing as much of a splash as he could so the puppy would get to have some more fun. "Oh it is nice in here!" he agreed with a smile. His back was to the bank and the Woods now and he felt a little better. The cool water had helped too of course.
PMEmail
^
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: Jun 11 2018, 11:30 PM
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine

Oliver nodded and relaxed a bit when he assured him that it wasn't a big deal. He didn't exactly want to make enemies with anyone. He had enough bullies and people who disliked him without good reason for a lifetime. He didn't need to add people who actually had a reason to hate him to that list.

His attention went to the trees though when Matty's did, but when he didn't see anything he looked back to the other boy. "You sure you're alright?" he asked. "Is someone after you? Or do you think someone else is going to pop out and scare you?" he asked, genuinely curious, but also trying to keep it lighthearted so that he didn't pry or upset Matthias too much.

He watched as Matthias started to pet Aella and the little pup enjoyed it while wiggling and dancing around in the water. He smiled some when he seemed to remember him and said his name was pretty good too. "Thanks." he said happily. Though he had been struggling to hide what looking at Matthias was doing to him and so he had went to hide in the water. He wouldn't be intruding. Oliver would enjoy his company.

Aella barked when Matthias jumped into the water, trying to catch as many of the droplets of water that she could. "Silly pup doesn't seem to understand what water is." Oliver commented with an amused laugh. He adored that little pup. It had taken a lot to convince all his parents to let him have her, but she had already done so much good for him that surely none of them regretted it.

"Right? I don't know what I would do on days like this if I didn't have the river to come to after working." Oliver said, leaning back to float on his back for a moment. "How have I never run into you here before?" he asked curiously.

PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: Jun 17 2018, 09:57 AM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

Matty couldn't help the nervousness while in the woods like this. Even though he loved cooling off he hated being in the area in general. This river, just a little further down, still probably held whatever remained of his father's body. This was why he always came to this particular spot when swimming. There was a nice spot further down, but it would be below where his father's body had been dumped in and he couldn't stand the thought of swimming there.

Then he was asked about whether or not he was sure he was alright and he gave a small shrug, not committing to saying yes or no to that question. "No.. no one's after me." he answered, because he didn't want this boy to think someone was going to pop out here and attack them, but how could he even answer this? "No, no one's around, as far as I know." he finished as an answer to him thinking someone else may pop out and scare him. "I don't really like these woods."he finally admitted, not wanting to be rude and give no answers at all.

Petting the little dog was definitely giving him some sense of comfort. She was so sweet and she seemed to be very happy to be petted. It didn't last long before he himself had to jump into the water though. He was far too warm to stay on land and he wanted to get soaked already.

The puppy seemed to try to catch the water and Matty managed a tiny laugh. "Well at least she's having fun?" he said as he swam over to where Oliver was. There was no reason to stay so far from one another they almost had to yell to be talking after all.

"Yeah, the stream is definitely nice for cooling down after a long day of work." he agreed, though normally he only stayed here long enough to cool down and then ran back home. He never stayed in the woods longer than he had to. His back was to the trees now and with Oliver to distract him it felt better than it normally did. Still he was having to fight with the urge to eye the woods. He swallowed and tried to push that thought way.

The image of his father hanging by the neck in the trees flashed through his mind and he winced as he tried to force the image away. He popped under the water quickly to hide the few tears he knew he couldn't keep back as the image repeated itself a few more times. He swam a little bit and came back out of the water facing away from Oliver.

"I usually don't stay long." he replied, trying to keep his voice steady and void of emotion but failing miserably at it as his voice made an odd crack, sort of like the ones he'd had when he was still in puberty. "I just dip and go back home.. there's always a lot of be done even after the fields are ready for the day." Again he failed and he knew there was no way Oliver wasn't going to be able to tell he was struggling now.
PMEmail
^
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: Jun 24 2018, 11:09 PM
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine

Oliver was relieved to hear that no one was after Matty, but he was confused as to why he wouldn't like the woods. The woods and the river were easily one of Oliver's favorite places in the district. It was peaceful, the water was obviously amazing for cooling down on hot days like this, and it was pretty and different from the fields that covered the rest of the district. He couldn't think of why Matty might be afraid of the woods, but he didn't want to ask yet.

He just smiled as he watched Matty with his dog, glad that he seemed happy to pet her and she was definitely enjoying the attention from someone new. He wanted to make sure that she was trained to be social with people and other animals to avoid any sort of issues. She was a sweet dog and she seemed to be social just by personality already anyways.

"She is most definitely having fun." Oliver agreed with a grin. There was no doubt about that at all. Soon Matty was swimming toward him more and he couldn't help, but to admire the other boy a little bit. This...this was what often got him into trouble. He was like any other young man, but it was the other boys who got to him instead of the girls.

Still, Matty seemed so nice. "Sometimes I have to get back home quick to help with work, but most of the time my part is done before I come out here." he explained. He had a big family that worked the farm all together, so of course he wasn't as needed as Matthias might be back at his.

He couldn't help, but wondering what was wrong though because the poor guy seemed so upset about something. He didn't like to see people hurting and there had been times he was hurting and just wished someone would ask him what was wrong. "Matty...what is going on?" he asked, his voice soft and a little hesitant. "And don't say nothing, because something clearly is." he added, still sounding sweet, but firm there as well.
PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: Jun 28 2018, 03:38 AM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

Playing with the dog was a good distraction from everything. The little dog was giving him reasons not to think about where he was and what had happened here and it was so relaxing. If they could afford having a dog he would have loved to have one of his own. He was pretty sure a dog would be such a good companion and distraction from everything going on in his life.

"She's so cute." he said in response to Oliver agreeing that she was indeed having a blast bouncing around in the water trying to catch the droplets. He did notice Oliver's eyes on him and a slight blush crept into his cheeks, but he in no way looked uncomfortable with the looks, more maybe un-used to them if anything.

"My day is never over..." he said with a tired sigh. "There's always something else that needs doing once the fields are taken care of." he was exhausted. He hadn't slept well for weeks, even months and the list of things to get done was never ending. You could do two things and three new things had popped up that needed to be added to the list of things to do. "I was so warm I wasn't feeling well, so I figured I needed a break." he admitted. Now that he was in the water, cooling down, he definitely already felt a little better. At least physically.

Then Oliver asked what was going on and said that he wasn't allowed to say nothing was because he knew there was something. He closed his eyes for a moment and let out a soft yet heavy sigh. How did he even begin to answer this when he lately felt like just about everything was wrong. He bit his lip, hard enough to taste blood before he shook his head a little. "I don't even know how to answer that... just about everything is." he muttered with a slightly shaky voice. Then he took a shaky, yet deep, breath and cleared his throat.

He may not have told Maddy about this, but it felt right to tell Oliver, even if he didn't know him. Maybe because he didn't know him. "Right this moment... I guess it's the woods... I uhm... I found my father hanging from a tree a little ways down... when I was ten." he stated, he didn't really want pity but the moment he had said it a few tears rolled down his cheeks. This time he didn't bother trying to hide it. "I was ten.. so it's a long time ago.. but I just don't like the woods.. but it's the only place to cool down."
PMEmail
^
Oliver Granger
 Posted on: Jul 8 2018, 10:42 PM
Storm Chaser
Emmie
District Nine

Oliver smiled and nodded when he said the dog was cute. "She is my sweet baby girl and I wouldn't give her up for anything." he said quietly. She was young and she had been a gift from his fathers. They were hoping that she would provide him with some much needed companionship since he was struggling to make friends with his peers. He did have some friends, but there were a lot of people who seemed to have it out for him. Between him being gay, his fathers, his odd family situation, and just his family being successful he often had people after him for one reason or another. He was thankful Matthias wasn't like them.

He had been nervous when he noticed that he had been caught looking, but the other boy actually just blushed a little instead of getting angry with him. That was different and incredibly interesting. He didn't mention it though, instead deciding it best to act like nothing had happened at all.

"I hope you are feeling better now?" He asked, a softness of worry in his tone. That was just Oliver by nature though, always worrying about others and rarely worrying about himself. "And...I have a big family. Like, really crazy big so the work is divided among us a lot." he commented. His family could also afford more and better equipment to use than a lot of people in the district were able to use. He didn't mention that though, not wanting to step on any toes.

He could tell that asking what was going on had upset him. Not so much the question itself it seemed, but whatever the answer was. His words about not knowing how to answer it and then saying just about everything confirmed that. Then the tears started down his cheeks and he frowned. "Oh...I..." he was going to say that he hadn't meant to make him cry, but the actual answer finally registered.

Oliver didn't know what to say or what to do. His whole world would come crashing down around him if he ever found any of his parents like that. Any of his family members really. What did you say to that? "I'm sorry I made you talk about it." he said quietly. He had been uneasy before, sure, but at least he hadn't been crying. Now he was and Oliver felt like it was his fault, even if he didn't actually make Matty say anything.

He just came closer to Matty and hesitantly wrapped him in a gentle, friendly hug. "I really am sorry." he added. He didn't know what else to say or if the hug would be more awkward than helpful, but...hugs always made him feel better. Maybe it would help Matty too.
PM
^
Matthias Ellison
 Posted on: Jul 12 2018, 03:56 AM
Farmer
Livvyowl
District Nine

The dog's antics really were helping to distract Matty from where they were and it put a small smile on his face. He wished he could have a puppy too, but they really couldn't afford to feed an animal that wasn't going to provide them with specific help around the farm. It was one of those things where necessity had to win over what you wanted. It was a thing that Matty was used to dealing with when it came to a lot of different topics really. There was always a consideration of whether or not they actually needed something and whether to get it or not. They were poor, they had to consider anything they acquired in that way.

"oh yeah.. the water helped a lot." he said, and it was the truth. The break from the work and the cool water had already made him feel a little better. He wasn't feeling like he was overheating as much anymore. Thankfully. "Oh, that would make things easier. We're just me and my two sisters. So there's a lot to get done around the farm. There's a few people who help out, but we had to let a lot of them go.. because we just couldn't afford to pay them." he explained with a small shrug. It was the tough reality of his life and family. Plus with him and Maddy trying to shield Mya and let her be a child, it was much harder on the two of them.

He shook his head a little when Oliver said he was sorry for making him talk about it. "I never talk about it... I never even really told anyone." he admitted in a shaky voice. He had kept it even from his twin sister and he had kept the truth of it from everyone. The Peacekeepers had eventually told them that his father had been gone long enough to be considered dead, but the boy had never told anyone he'd been the one to dump the body in the water.

Then Oliver came over and wrapped him up in a hug and Matty unraveled. He leaned into the hug and just sobbed for a moment until he managed to pull himself back together. "Sorry." he muttered when he finally calmed enough, but he didn't really pull out of the hug. It should be awkward since they were both more or less naked, but it wasn't. It just felt nice. Maddy of course hugged him sometimes and Mya too, but it was nice to know someone else cared too. Most seemed not to care about the little family of two young adults and their little sister. They were left to their own devices and what happened to them seemed not to matter to others.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
PanemForever RPG Initiative RPG-D HH One More Light Black Prism PanemForever ruinandrise Mystic Mayhem A marvel infinity war rp City of Light: The 100 RPG Time Won

skin created by miss texas. at caution 2.0.